Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Who am I?

I am a young woman and a political activist in my hometown of Pittsburgh. I used to work for a political organization called ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now), they paid me to travel all over the city (mainly to lower income neighborhoods) and talk to everyone I met about politics. It was a wonderfully rewarding and educational experience that did a great to shape my current political convictions. I am a political pragmatist, which means I support half solutions.

I started paying attention to politics when I was 8 years old and Newt Gingrich took over congress. The first political demonstration I remember was march for children in 1995. I've been involved in many political demonstrations since then, from the protest against Bush's inauguration, the marches against the war in Iraq, and many others. I also lead the day of silence at my school for 3 years.

I believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. I respect each person right to believe what they chose so long as they hurt no one. Religious fundamentalist and bigots force their view on others, and almost always cause them harm in the process. I am open minded, but I hate religious fundamentalists (from all religions) and bigots; other than that, I value diversity in all it's forms.

I am a pacifist. I believe violence has no place in a civilized world; that it only severs to create anger and hate, and rarely solves the underlying problems it's use was meant to address. Peace is not an end to be achieved through violence, it is a means to that end as well. The only cases where I can support violence is to stop heinous crimes against humanity. In all other cases, I support nonviolent tactics, such as civil disobedience, and protests. I believe in using the democratic process as a means for change. Progressive change must occur in the minds and heart of the people. All the guns and bombs in the world cannot force people to care for one another.

No comments: